Followers

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Interview with a cricket legend


He is Zimbabwe ’s hard hitting batsman of all times, loved by all and hated by none. Rising from a mere ODI debutant, scoring 115* against Sri Lanka in 1991, to an extraordinary sportsman enjoying life at the top of the world rankings with his unbeaten 145 runs against India in 2002. The description best fits veteran cricketer, Andy Flower, whom with his brother are affectionately known as the Flower Power. Grace Chirumanzu had this exclusive interview with Andy, who is now assistant coach of global cricket powerhouse, England.

Factfile
Full names :Andrew Flower
D.O.B :28 April 1968
Place of birth : Cape Town , South Africa
Batting style :Left hand bat
Bowling style :Right arm offbreak (wicketkeeper)
ODI Caps :213
Test Caps :63

G.C They say north, east, west or south home is best. Do you sometimes miss Zimbabwe ?
A.F I do miss Zimbabwe ! I am a Zimbabwean. I still have friends and family in Zimbabwe . My team mates, my family and I totally committed ourselves to the Zimbabwe cricket cause. We experienced tremendous highs and lows that you can only experience through total commitment.
G.C Who are you still in touch with from the Jeof Marsh coached Zim side when you played with the likes Neil Johnson, Murray Godwin and Henry Olonga?
A.F I keep in touch with Alistair Campbell, Dirk Viljoen, Craig Evans who still live in Zimbabwe . Of course I see my brother often, and chat with Henry on the phone every month or so .I bump into Neil Johnson and Murray Goodwin occasionally when our paths cross.
G.C Do you ever look back in your career and say you wasted your talent?
A.F No. If anything I would say that I maximized on the talent I had. There were many players I saw and envied their more obvious talent for moving athletically or for striking a ball.
G.C How is your brother Grant?
A.F Grant is well. He is playing for Essex in the County Championship in England . He is 38 now, so is contemplating retirement, which would enable him to begin his coaching career.
G.C Do you see yourself coaching cricket back in Zimbabwe one day?
A.F It’s a possibility. However there would have to be a change in the country’s leadership for that to happen. And for that matter, in the leadership of Zimbabwe Cricket. I would not work for the present leadership. I do not respect them as people or leaders.
G.C What do you make of the current Zimbabwean players? Do you think the young players have a future?
A.F I think the current Zimbabwean cricketers are exceptionally talented. However, I do feel sorry for them. They have no first class structure in which to learn their trade, and their international cricket is soon to be restricted.
G.C Of all the tours you have had so far, which one did you enjoy most?
A.F I used to love touring India . It has such a vibrant cricket culture that playing the game there is truly stimulating!
G.C Tell me a funny story you still remember from one of your camps in the Zimbabwean team with the other players?
A.F I remember Guy Whittal trying desperately to find his seat on an Australian flight. He was studying his boarding card intently, and wondering where seat QF 52 was. Quantas Flight 52 was in fact the flight number for the trip between Perth and Sydney ! (He’s going to hate me for telling that story!) He was probably badly hung-over!
G.C What is the craziest thing Andy has ever done?
A.F Leaving school and embarking on a career in accountancy! Or parachuting 5 minutes after Bryan Strang had jumped out before me…..and his chute had tangled, forcing him to deploy his emergency chute!
G.C Tell us of your family Andy?
A.F I have a wife , Rebecca, and 3 kids, Jamie, Sam and Danielle. You know about Grant. My parents also now live in the UK .
G.C What is your heartbreaking moment in Cricket?
A.F Probably retiring from Zimbabwe/International cricket prematurely in 2003. After the game I felt very emotional, but it was nice to have my brother and friends around to share the memories.
G.C What did you make of Zimbabwe ’s surprise victory over Australia in the T20 world cup, in South Africa last year?
A.F It was great to watch! They thoroughly deserved it. And it brought back memories of my own David and Goliath moments with Zimbabwe cricket.
G.C What is it that you tell your team when the going gets tough?
A.F To hang tougher ourselves. It is enjoyable to test yourselves in such times, as it is in those situations that one’s true character is revealed.
G.C When you are off the cricket field, what is it that you enjoy doing?
A.F I used to enjoy reading, and playing other sports. However, with a family, such time is limited. I do stuff with the kids now.
G.C When was the last time you were in Zimbabwe ? How often do you visit?
A.F I have not been back since I left in 2003. I want to visit Zimbabwe as soon as possible. I am Zimbabwean.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great questions asked and great answers he gave... a brilliant interview. BRAVO.

Anonymous said...

sisi wam imibuzo yako inhle. ndiyacela utete nouNeil Johnson. siyabulela apa emzansi kakulu. uAndy Flower iIdol kum.......... kumbulani