Followers

Friday, February 20, 2009

Cephas Chimedza interview


24-year old former Dynamos and Caps United midfielder, Cephas Chimedza, tells Grace Chirumanzu in an interview that he would not miss Belgium if ever he is going to leave.

Grace Chirumanzu (G.C):
How long did it take for you to settle in Sint Truiden, Belgium? Have you now reached a point where you are comfortable there?
Cephas Chimedza(C.C): It did not take me long because I knew what to expect having played for a Belgian team before.
G.C: What was your dream when you were a child?
C.C: I wanted to have a good job like being a doctor but it all changed as the years went by.
G.C: What do you think you would have done if you had not become a footballer like you didn’t become a doctor? Did you have a plan B?
C.C: After I joined Dynamos juniors in 1999 and eventually got promoted to the first team in 2001 all I ever wanted from that time was to be a footballer, so I never had a plan B.
G.C: What is your attitude towards racism in football and has it ever affected u at one point?
C.C: It’s really a bad thing but it is so difficult to curb because one can’t really change someone’s opinion on things, something they believe in but personally I haven't been affected.
G.C: Your team is currently not playing in the premier league (Jupiler League), are u comfortable playing in the lower league?
C.C: Sint Truiden has always been in the top flight league until the relegation at the end of last season, but right now we are on top and look likely to be promoted.
G.C: If you are to leave Belgium, what would u miss about the country?
C.C: I won’t miss anything I will be happy to finally leave, because of the weather, it is very bad, the culture too.
G.C: How are foreigners treated at your club and in Belgium at social levels?
C.C: Usually as a foreigner you just have to work harder than the local guys I think that is how it is everywhere, but other than that everything else is the same.
G.C: Tell us of some moments u had on your first days at the club that u always remember with laughter or sadness?
C.C: It was when I stayed in my new apartment without a television set and no hot water for 2 weeks, I really felt unwanted.
G.C: Having played for a club outside Zimbabwe, where can u say the problem of our football lies? And what should be done to improve it?
C.C: I think it is poor administration and the solution is just to put people with the football knowhow in office.
G.C: I understand Dutch, French and German are the three official languages spoken in Belgium; how have you handled the language barrier?
C.C: Quit fortunately for me, they are now learning English also. So all the time it’s English, it only becomes a challenge when you go to French speaking regions where you will be forced to speak French if you want to communicate.
G.C: What are the challenges you have faced so far?
C.C: Just being lonely.
G.C: What is the craziest thing you have ever done in your career as a footballer?
C.C: Walking out of my 2 year contract after just 6 months.
G.C: Which player are u closest to at your club?
C.C He is from the Czech Republic and has played for Hearts in Scotland and he speaks good English.
G.C: Which player in Zimbabwe would you say has a good future and would do wonders in foreign clubs?
C.C: They are quite a number of players coming through; I think the players who will be a success in foreign clubs are the likes of Zhaimu Jambo and Ovidy Karuru. It is just to mention a few.
G.C: What are the remaining ambitions in your career?
C.C: My ambition is to play in a major league because my team is currently playing in the lower division.
G.C: Zimbabwe had its own great players such as Francis Shonhayi, Wilfred and William Mugeyi but hardly anybody has emulated them. Are you prepared for a time when you might be considered Zimbabwe's greatest player?
C.C: All I just have to do is keep working as hard as I can but I have never thought of being among the greatest.

No comments: