Followers

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Off the field with Willard Katsande

Former Highway midfielder Willard Katsande (pictured)- who changed camps to join Gunners FC during the midseason break -- told The Zimbabwean on Sunday’s Grace Chirumanzu in an interview last week of his burning ambition to be among the best on the local scene and to, hopefully, one day make a break into one of the big leagues abroad. Excerpts:

Grace Chirumanzu (GC): The first question obviously is about that incident when you were still with Highway and you were playing Dynamos when a group of DeMbare supporters threw some traditional snuff at you. What really was that all about?
Willard Katsande (WK): They had this crazy idea that I was using juju and all of a sudden they threw that stuff on my face. But I was never affected by what they did during the match and I continued to give my best performance. I have put it behind me and it has not affected my perception of Dynamos as a team.
GC: Why did you leave Highway for Gunners?
WK: They (Gunners) were impressed by my performance and they approached me and I chose to join them. I also received offers from Dynamos and Caps United but I chose Gunners because I like the fact that they are supportive of players who are fortunate to make the grade at bigger foreign clubs. I had no problems with Highway, I respect Highway because they made me into who I am today. It was when I was with Highway when I made my premiership debut, this year.
GC: What will you miss most about Highway?
WK: It was like family, there was no element of looking down upon each other and the club officials were so organized.
GC: The two weeks you have had to adapt and fit into the playing style of your new team seem so short, tell us, how has been the going so far?
WK: I believe the two weeks I have had are quite adequate. The players have welcomed me well and I think I will make a good combination with Ramson (Zhuwawo).
GC: And on the soccer pitch, which player would you say is or has been your toughest opponent this season?
WK: I would think it is Lionel Mtizwa of Caps United who gave me the toughest time in game we played them when I was still with Highway. We lost the match 1-0.
GC: How about the game in general, what misgivings do you have about the local game?
WK: It should be understood that the local game does not pay that much and soccer players can never really dream of buying fancy houses and cars after retiring from playing football. Maybe one day it will change for the better. It would be unfortunate were things to be allowed to continue the way they are.
GC: Who is your favourite local player?
WK: Highway captain Hebron Mukukutu. He is good. I used to watch him play when I was still playing in Mutare’s division 2 league and never thought I would one day play alongside him in the same team.



Fact File

Full names :Willard Katsande

D.O.B :15 January 1987

P.O.B :Mutoko

Nickname :Bute

Jersey number :17

Position :Central midfielder

Previous Clubs :Frontier Steel (2002-05), Feruka (2006-07), Highway (2007-09)

Current Club :Gunners

1 comment:

HS Deol said...

We've been in constant touch with NewZimbabwe.com pertaining the Malaysia v 'Zimbabwe' match. Tried calling you yesterday but you didn't answer.

email us at haresh@mmail.com.my